Dear Sister Knowitall,
Have you ever heard of Sugaring? Do you think it is better than waxing or shaving?
So, this Sugaring concept captured me hook line and sinker. Natural, less painful than waxing, won't remove the skin like waxing can, lessens the hair over time. Of course I can't recommend a home remedy that I know nothing about so let's find out Miss Hair Beware, what is sugaring and will it be the answer to my own hairless hopes and dreams.
I met a lovely lady on an Etsy Facebook page who shared her product information with me and I immediately ordered a trial size of the product. I let the hair grow while I waited for the package to arrive only needed a 1/4 inch. I can do that.. Good thing it was winter time.
|Cornstarch or Baby Powder|
I grabbed a strip of denim and placed it on the hair patted it down from my salon waxing experiences and pulled the strip against the direction the hair grows, OMG, YOWZA and OUCHY. Ok I'm done! I rinsed off the gooey mess and sent a message to the Etsy Store Owner with this picture.
What a complete disaster. I explained my procedure and here was her reply. It looks like you pulled against the hair growth and not with the hair growth. You need to warm the syrup just a little to make is thinner. The flicking from the video is for is for Sugar Paste not Sugar Wax? What??? there are two different forms of this Sugaring. I knew I didn't have a ball of wax but who knew there are so many forms of sugaring. How did the ladies in 1900BC figure this out if I can't with the help of You Tube? I am sharing this in great detail because I don't want you to make the same mistake I did and because there is a lesson to be learned about over learning. I should have possibly asked a few more questions or asked the owner of the store more questions. After I asked her to share a video specifically on this method. I was amazed how many mistakes I had made from watching so many other videos.
Sugar Wax... Not Paste
Be sure the area is clean and dry
- Warm the wax for about 10-12 seconds.
Spread a very thin coat of sugar wax onto the hair against the growth of the hair.
- Place the denim on and rub being sure it attaches to as much hair as possible
- Yank as close to the body as possible in the direction the hair grows
- If you still see hair add another coat of wax and pull with the same strip or a new one.
- If you have stubborn coarse hair like I did, (thanks to genetics um Thanks. Dad) you will need to be patient and try again the next day or even the next until you get all the hair.
- If you are left handed that side will be harder to remove hair from and will take longer.. ( I did shave a small remaining patch after 2 days of trying) visa versa if your right handed
- The sugar rinses off way easier than wax does and the aloe did a great job soothing the redness.
- It has been a week and a half and I haven't had to shave or wax my underarm since.
- I did order paste that is another blog stay tuned.